September 7 - December 14, 2022
How can we plan for equity, agency and understanding?
Across twelve weeks, this interactive online course immerses educators at all levels in approaches and tools for effective unit planning. We will explore how to prioritize content and process targets, work with existing curricula and standards to prepare units of study aligned with learners’ backgrounds, interests and needs. In addition to the PEBC Teaching Framework, course content will include reading of professional texts, videos, teacher interviews, application tasks and opportunities for reflection.
- Participants will understand equity, agency and understanding as critical outcomes of any school-based learning experiences
- Participants will recognize the value of clear learning targets and interconnected learning experiences.
- Participants will identify and implement three key considerations of successful planning: People, Purpose and Process
- Participants will appreciate the relationship between unit and daily planning.
- Certificate upon completion of course (30 PD credit hours)
- Downloadable course-related reading materials, excerpts of classroom videos, and course handouts
Wendy Ward Hoffer
Author and Senior Director of Content Development & Publications
Michelle Morris Jones
Podcast Host and Senior Director of Professional Development Design
PEBC Institutes fill quickly. Register today!
This course is organized into six modules; each module includes a welcome, some interactive direct instruction, choice readings, media and invitations to respond, class discussions, as well as an application task designed to support you in improving your unit planning. Your facilitators will respond to your work on the online learning management system, there to push your thinking and cheer you on.
- Goals: Agency, Equity and Understanding: What are we striving for?
- Planning Priorities: What priorities guide our planning?
- Purpose: In what ways can we make learning meaningful?
- People: In what ways can we build bridges connecting learners with content?
- Process: In what ways can we design authentic learning experiences that invite rich thinking and language development?
- Unit Planning: Given all of this, how will we actually assemble a unit?
We encourage all participants to register with one or more colleagues to provide the greatest opportunity for collaboration and learning for your team.
If you have a contract or would like to pay by purchase order, please contact [email protected].
To pay by credit card, please register below.